Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Reflection on Technical Communication 1

Technical Communication 1 is not the first communication class I have attended. Previously, I have had three core modules of business communication over three years in polytechnic. During polytechnic, I can decide on my project teams, so that the teams I chose would tie into groups similar as other modules. This allowed projects to be done more efficiently as I do not have to keep meeting different groups of people, as they all have their other assignments to commit to. This was the difficult part across all modules. Although I understand that I have to work with different groups and types of people when I head out to work in the future, this arrangement of different groups for all modules seems a little unrealistic and was unpleasant, given the short time span. Despite all these cons, it has allowed me to work with time and dynamics constraints, which is a big learning point for me.

Through this short twenty hours course, I have learnt to write a decent technical report, product summary description and analysis, and giving a persuasive sales pitch. After being exposed, I have increased confidence in these areas, even though the practice was insufficient.

The challenge for myself was the final presentation, as I previously stutter a lot, and it has been at least 2 years since the last time I gave a presentation without a script. This has pushed me out of comfort zone, as I really need to believe in my product to be able to sell it. There are also rooms for improvement after this course: reading and practicing on different types of technical report.

In the long run, I hope to be able to write different types of report when I graduate, to better prepare myself for the workforce. I will also be able to see how the skills I learnt will be applied during my IWSP, and for my future use.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sze Dee, for this frank reflection. I'm glad you could be honest and tell us your feelings about working across teams. That gives me an insight I didn't have.

    I'm also happy to know that your experience with the tasks you did in TLM1010 was positive even as you had to jam for time and work out of your comfort zone. Of course, the 'practice' that you now plan is what will really lead to improved skills development.

    I appreciate all your contributions this term. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete